Friday 18 May 2012

Limnonectes kuhlii (Tschudi, 1838) (Kuhl's Creek Frog, Kuhl's Wart Frog,)


Another interesting sharing that I have been long waited to share is this photography of a frog species called Kuhl's Creek Frog.  

This species almost certainly represents a complex of more than one species containing many taxa with more restricted distributions. There might even be several species in Borneo alone (R. Inger pers. comm.) (http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/58346/0). It occurs from 200-1,800m asl.

Since 2007 I have photographing at this same site including doing some night photography of frogs. At first I did not notice any difference in the frog photos that I took not until 2010 when I look back at the previous photos and compared them with the one I took in 2010 and the frogs that I thought was the same species looks pretty much different. 

As I am not a herpetologist nor a frog taxonomist it is pretty difficult to say what species this is exactly and it may be the same species but only some coloration and maturity differences.

There have been a lot of research been done about L. kuhlii complex, but for me none have a good physical photograph to show which complex is which in online publication. The reason may be as scientist would say more research needs to be done for this species, but yet it is possibly because I can’t access the paid online journal and that is another reason.

I suspected (left) is Limnonectes kuhlii and (right) is Limnonectes laticeps? but L. laticeps is too small. Both same size (aprox: 4 cm) and taken at same place at same night

Limnonectes kuhlii. Size: Small,up to 4cm maybe a male

Limnonectes kuhlii, super old female with blackish grey back? Size up to 6cm maybe a Female

1 comment: